University of Idaho
College of Natural Resources
$51,313 annually or higher depending on experience
The position will work closely and cooperatively with the Director of the University of Idaho Experimental Forest (UIEF). This position will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of UIEF including implementing and administration of timber sales, silvicultural activities, forest operations and reporting requirements to applicable internal and external stakeholders. This position will provide input and support to the UIEF Director, and maintain records for forest management planning, forest inventory programs, GIS programs and other databases in support of UIEF research, education, and extension activities. This position will support the UIEF Director in coordination and assistance with activities occurring on UIEF including course instruction, faculty and graduate student research, and internal and external stakeholder outreach. In addition, this position will be required to maintain positive and productive working relationships with key local and outstate stakeholders in forestry related industries, agencies, NGO's, neighboring communities, and citizenry across a diverse array of forestry related topics and disciplines. UIEF is under the direction of the Dean, College of Natural Resources, who serves as the Director of the Forest, Range, and Wildlife Experiment Station (NRES) and the Forest Utilization Research (FUR) program. UIEF is a unit within NRES and FUR.
- B.S. degree in Forestry, Forest Operations or related field.
- Demonstrated experience with field forestry, forestry equipment, and forest applications such as timber sales, forest management planning including implementation, and silvicultural treatments.
- Completion, or ability to complete within 6 months of start date, NWCGS130/190 Wildland Firefighter (FFT2) and NWCGS212 Wildland Chainsaws or University of Idaho FOR210 Winter Harvesting or equivalent chainsaw safety and precision felling training.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Willingness to travel and work odd hours including weekends.
- 1+ years professional experience or advanced training or education in forestry or related field.
- Ability to work creatively, independently and in a team environment.
- Experience with basic computer business software such as Microsoft Office and forestry related software such as ArcGIS, FVS or FPS, Remsoft, and others.
- Experience in timber cruising, timber sale preparation and administration, forest road planning, forestry related research projects, wildland / prescribed fire.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
- Applicant must be willing to work in the challenging environment of Idahos Forests year-round.
- Applicant must be able to lift and/or otherwise move up to 50 pounds.
- Evening and weekend work may be at short notice.
Open Until Filled:
Position is open until filled. Preference will be given to those who apply by February 23, 2018.
Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
To apply, please visit: jobs.uidaho.edu
University of Idaho is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.