LSU AgCenter Associate Vice President and
Program Leader for 4-H Youth Development
GENERAL INFORMATION: This position serves as part of the AgCenter’s upper level management team in administering a comprehensive program area. This position focuses on the area of 4-H Youth Development along with other areas as assigned by the Vice President for Agriculture. Responsibilities include planning, directing, coordinating, and evaluating all activities relating to the assigned program area.
LINES OF AUTHORITY: This position reports directly to the Vice President for Agriculture and Chancellor of the LSU Agricultural Center. It provides line programmatic supervision for AgCenter regional directors and academic department heads and school directors in a decentralized management structure and facilitates programmatic activities for regional, departmental, parish, and station faculty and staff. The 4-H Program Leader works collaboratively with other program leaders on multi-program matters and cooperates with other members of the management team on AgCenter wide issues, special initiatives, and his/her assigned responsibilities for providing coordination across program areas.
* Provide strong intellectual leadership with the development of a vision for the 4-H Youth Development Program, along with all AgCenter programs. Participate as a cohesive team member of the Vice President’s Council in overall policy-making, strategic planning, goal-setting, problem-solving, and troubleshooting.
- Create and maintain programmatic direction, organizational climate, and work environment that encourages creativity, innovation and adaptability, high quality programs; program planning in accordance with stakeholder needs, national initiatives, and intra-state agencies; and efficiency and cost-effectiveness. Create an aggressive environment for adoption and use of progressive technologies and methods, pursuing grants and donations; and facilitating outreach channels to stakeholders.
- Facilitate communication, collaboration, and coordination between extension, research, and teaching functions and among agents, specialists, researchers, other academic employees and support staff to foster comprehensive programs. Facilitate development and use of a strong volunteer program; appropriate communication and coordination with parents and guardians; and partnerships with schools, community groups, local organizations and governmental entities.
- Provide oversight and coordination for risk management issues including agent and volunteer training, background screenings, policies on supervision and youth interaction, and related areas.
- Facilitate an effective 4-H staffing model within available resources and effective use of financial and physical resources for the program area. Recommend and assist with budgetary and other fiscal matters. Support effective mentoring, promotion and evaluation of faculty and staff. Work closely with support units to provide input on administrative policies and procedures.
- Develop and maintain relationships with unit administrators, faculty and staff, clientele groups, and governmental entities to advance the mission and vision of the 4-H program and the LSU AgCenter. Represent the AgCenter on committees and work groups and at meetings and functions. Serve as liaison where needed. Represent the AgCenter at the national level. Work cooperatively with the Southern University Agricultural Center, the LSU and A&M College of Agriculture, other LSU System campuses and entities, other Louisiana higher education campuses, other land-grant institutions, and any other state and federal agencies conducive to the fulfillment of the AgCenter’s mission. Ensure that programs and activities fulfill the mandates of state and federal legislative bodies and the administrative requirements of the National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) and the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
- Stay abreast of and bring programs in sync with changes in vision, direction, initiatives, policies and procedures. Facilitate novel improvements for AgCenter programs.
- Actively support a culture that promotes respect and safety and carries out programs and employment matters in a manner that is non-discriminatory on the basis of race, creed, color, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, sex, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, and veteran’s status.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: Must have a Ph.D. or other terminal degree in a field related to the duties of the position, a minimum of five years of experience with 4-H, and administrative experience. The candidate must either hold tenure or have experience and a record that supports granting tenure in the LSU AgCenter, preferably at the full professor level. Strong organizational and interpersonal skills are essential.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The LSU AgCenter has an attractive benefits package with a wide variety of benefit options. Benefits offered include retirement, multiple medical insurance options, supplemental insurances (dental, life, long-term disability, accident, vision, long-term care, etc.), Tax Saver Flexible Benefits Plan (saves tax dollars on some child care and medical expenses), university holidays (14 per year, typically includes a week off at Christmas), generous annual (vacation) and sick leave benefits, Employee Assistance Program, and possible educational leave and tuition exemption for coursework at campuses of the LSU System. Specific benefits depend on job category, percent effort and length of employment.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: November 14, 2017 or until a suitable candidate is identified. The interview process will start in December.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Must apply online at https://lsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/LSU (or through Workday for internal applicants) by attaching a letter of application and vita, résumé, transcripts, and three letters of recommendation. Paper, faxed or e-mailed application materials will not be accepted, except that in lieu of attaching the reference letters online, they may be sent directly to:
Associate Vice President
102-E J. Norman Efferson Hall
Baton Rouge, La. 70803